Monday, December 10, 2012

Some Christmas thoughts...

I was driving to work today listening to the Kutless Album "This is Christmas", a beautiful album that really embodies the true meaning of Christmas and one I highly recommend,  when the song " Breath of Heaven" came on. For anyone who has not heard it I am including lyrics.


Breath of HeavenKutless

I have traveled many moonless nights
Cold and weary with a babe inside
And I wonder what I've done
Holy Father, You have come
And chosen me now to carry Your Son

I am waiting in a silent prayer
I am frightened by the load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now, be with me now

Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever near me, breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness
Pour over me Your holiness for You are holy
Breath of Heaven

Do you wonder as you watch my face
If a wiser one should have had my place?
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of Your plan
Help me be strong, help me be, help me

Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever near me, breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness
Pour over me Your holiness for You are holy

Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever near me, breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness
Pour over me Your holiness for You are holy
Breath of Heaven, breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven


I was struck, no, overwhelmed with emotion. Think about it, Mary was a little girl, by most accounts 14 years old, when, at a full 9 mos pregnant, she traveled with Joseph to Bethlehem. She knew God was with her and she knew He would take care of her, she trusted him completely, yet I worry about money, about work, about the economy, and so many things. This little innocent girl carried the most important child ever to be born in her body on that bumpy miserable road; she was scared, probably in pain, and hungry, but she trusted God. While thinking about the incredible strength of this young girl, a second, even more overwhelming thought struck me. She would give birth to this wonderful, pure, beautiful, perfect, son of hers; she would kiss his face, shower him with her love and in 33 years she would watch him be tortured to death....

Why?? Why did this mother have this beautiful, perfect son only to watch him be tortured and killed? Some people say the Jews killed him, some the Romans. The truth is, we all killed him. You killed him and I killed him. He died for our sins not for his own for he committed none. He was tortured and killed because I have a sinful heart, because we are a sinful rebellious people. He died for every sin committed before his birth and every sin that would ever be committed by all future generations.

How can we as a society not fall on our faces in praise, in thankfulness, God loves us all so much he sent his own beloved son to die in our places.


16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16
New International Version (NIV)

It hurts my heart to hear the way people dismiss this fact; even Christian's are more concerned with tolerance and being politically correct than about this basic truth. I'd been looking for something, a sign, some small voice saying I didn't forget you and it struck me this morning, as tears rolled down my face, that God loves me so much more than I will ever deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment