Saturday, June 30, 2012

*Required Education - Bachelor’s degree

College is a racket these days and EVERYONE is involved. You don't qualify for anything without a Bachelor's Degree, yet most don't care if it's in their field of industry. Nearly 100% of the jobs I've looked at that require that BA or BS don't care what it's in. SO really all they care about is that you have properly wasted at least 4 years of your life at frat parties while attending minimal classes and borrowing anywhere 25-50+ Grand from Uncle Sam to do it. I could get a Bachelors in Astrology, yes I did find a school that has that major, and then magically qualify for 25 different jobs none of which have anything to do with anything I studied. Now don't get me wrong college is important for many people and some jobs should require it, but not everyone has the patience or the money for 4+ years of university studies. It's just so frustrating. A secretary job that requires a Bachelors Degree? I've done this job plus office manager for several places. I've creatively used the creative, problem solving skills I learned raising children for the last 20 years to solve more problems in my office jobs than most of the college grads I have worked with. I have a friend who has a PHD in computer science but he needs help to check his email. How exactly does my lack of an exorbitant student loan  make me not qualified to answer your phone, type your letters, and make coffee? Yes I know there is a lot more to it than that. Did I mention I have done that in several businesses in the last 20 years? It's almost as irritating as the reactions I get about my job experience being in the Funeral Industry... but that is a whole other blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment